OMG, HE’S HELPING HIM BACK INTO THE OCEAN
i officially like animals more than people
An adult turtle up on a beach is almost certainly a female that hauled up there to lay eggs. Male sea turtles don’t come out onto land ever again in their lives.
Also, I’m pretty sure that baby sea lion isn’t so much ‘helping’ as going,
'THING? PLAY! PLAY PLAY PLAY! PLAY THING? WEIRD THING! PLAY!'
That does not make this gifset less adorbz.
The ship name is “terrapinniped”.
Can we stop romanticizing glorifying?
Fun Fact: Just because someone has a wheelchair, doesn’t mean they can’t walk. A lot of people benefit from a wheelchair because they can’t balance well or it is too painful to walk. So if you see a person briefly stand out of their wheelchair, or take a few steps, or even if you see them with a wheelchair sometimes but not always, it doesn’t mean they’re faking, and you shouldn’t call them out on it.
hyenas, terrifying and excellently organized predators of the savannah
also surprisingly docile and like neck scritches and have a tail chasing compulsion
if you don’t think hyenas are great then you’re objectively wrong
Aaaahhh, I love hyenas. :D
Hyenas: Always getting a bad rap because lions are jerks. Lions actually steal from hyenas most of the time because hyenas are the better predators — but they’re also very skittish when faced with a giant pride of cats. Adorable babies!
Okay, lemme tell you about spotted hyenas, aka the BAMFiest BAMFs in the animal kingdom.
- Their societies are entirely female-dominated. Female hyenas are larger and stronger than males and have higher social status in clan hierarchy - even the lowest-ranking female in a hyena clan is higher up the social ladder than the highest-ranking male. They’re basically the Amazons of the animal world. The females even have false penis-like appendages (which are essentially large clitorises), which led the ancient Greeks to think that hyenas were hermaphrodites. Because fuck your narrow human perceptions of sex and gender roles, that’s why.
- They are considered the dominant predators of the African savannah, despite not being the largest or strongest, because they are the most successful hunters. Their hunting success rate is estimated to be about 70-80%, meaning that they catch about 70-80% of prey they pursue - a freakishly high statistic (to compare, the success rate of lions and wolves is about 20-30%). They also scavenge much less than lions do, as whowasntthere said, and are incredibly adaptable and opportunistic predators, meaning that they are also the most common and widespread of the large African carnivores. That’s not too bad for an animal typecast as a lazy scavenger.
- Their jaws are some of the strongest in the animal kingdom, stronger than those of lions, tigers, wolves or perhaps bears, and can crush elephant and giraffe bones; hyenas are also able to digest all bone matter. Don’t tell me that’s not metal as fuck.
- Despite looking like dogs, they are not part of the dog family and are actually more closely related to cats. Because fuck your logic. Nature does what it wants.
- They are incredibly intelligent. They are easily as intelligent as primates and some scientists claim that their intelligence may even rival that of the great apes, which would make them among the most intelligent animals in the world. Hyenas even outperform chimpanzees on some tests, which is pretty damn awesome, considering that chimpanzees are our closest relatives and all.
So yeah, basically hyenas are awesome and badass as well as truly fascinating animals and if you don’t have at least a bit of respect for them you’re wrong.
I think I’ve caught tumblritus. I’m finding way too much cool shit :I
See the series in live space at Aloft Hotel Harlem, 2296 Frederick Douglass Blvd (8th Ave) between 123rd and 124th. On display until March 16th.
This is what happens for real when I can’t find the right words.
Horse Tornado is the only phrase I will use from now on
It’s so fucking perfect I cannot even.
yes these all make perfect sense to me
It’s like “sea pancake”. Perfect.
I’ve called my ankle a “foot elbow” before
Wouldn’t that be a “leg elbow”?
"snail house" is the actual correct term in german. or "snailhouse". and that’s all you need to know about the german language etc etc.
Squirrel found an original place to hide his nuts
i laughed harder than I should’ve at this
just because something was or is an “official medical term” doesn’t mean it is free from criticism nor does it mean it doesn’t have bigoted roots
the medical field is not some neutral place, it is effected by our culture and medical abuse is not some once in a lifetime thing medical abuse is real and is current and has been happening since pretty much forever
so don’t use “oh it’s a medical term it’s fine!!!” as some bullshit excuse to using ableist and bigoted terminology
greet the morning
A comic about mushrooms, and other stuff I guess. Not (very) autobiographical.
If you find the text hard to read you can find a bigger version here!
is it a teapot?